Monday, February 7, 2022

A Quick Update

I just wanted to push out this quick status update since I was so quiet for most of last week. I assure you that I am still active, but life has a way of just creeping up.

Tuesday, I woke up with a pretty bad migraine. This is an unfortunate condition that I have dealt with for over half of my life at this point. I have tried various methods to relieve myself of my migraines, and the only thing that seems to have helped is getting my daith pierced. What seems to be the major issue with my migraines now are environmental factors - such as the humidity in my room being too low, or barometric pressure changes. And since it snowed last week, I'm chalking my migraine up to the barometric pressure change.

I was feeling well enough by the end of the day to go to choir practice. I haven't sung in a choir probably since the early days of my marriage to my ex-wife, when we were both in the choir at the church we attended then. That was 2006.

I told the choir director I was a baritone and she stuck me in the tenor section. Not having sung tenor in years, it was a bit of a strain trying to reach some of those notes. Even the bass section seemed a bit high. But I did enjoy singing to something other than the radio or a music app for a change.

Wednesday I was an altar server (perhaps I should say THE altar server, as the other person who had volunteered ended up being snowed in) for the Great Feast of the Presentation of Lord in the Temple. Which reminded me that I wanted to do a series of posts on the Great Feasts of the Church.


 

Anyway, Wednesday saw me out of the house fairly early, so while I kept up with my daily readings, I had no time to write down my thoughts and then put them to digital paper. And, by the time I left church and returned home it was already after noon, and I hadn't eaten anything yet. And the house needed to be cleaned.

Thursday, since it had snowed more, I went out and shoveled the snow from the driveway and walkway, and then I had to finish cleaning the house because our priest was coming over to bless the house. The house wasn't a huge mess, but there was enough to keep me busy for most of the day. By which I mean there were periods of sporadic cleaning, followed by periods of me laying down and stretching to ease the pain in my back. This is very unfortunate, as while I don't love to clean the house, I do enjoy having a clean house and my back pain prevents me being able to clean all in one go.

I've learned to break things up so as not to overexert myself.

Also, I made a snow angel, because I'm not devoid of all joy in my life.


Friday, I tried to do nothing all day as I was exhausted from everything from the prior days, but instead I ended up gathering a bunch of dead wood from around the house to have a fire that night. And then, I took to sawing some logs with a freaking keyhole saw because we apparently don't have an actual saw. 

Sawing the logs that way took a bit of time, but I basically just sawed them enough to the point where a swift, sturdy kick would break the pieces apart. Then I brought in the wood so it could reach room temperature before lighting it on fire.

I was pretty happy with the results as the fire lasted for quite a few hours before I just let it die down.


It was a good fire. I named it George.

Saturday, I really tried to do nothing, because at this point I was just so exhausted. So in the interest of doing nothing, I naturally went grocery shopping after breakfast. I have learned that I am terrible at doing nothing, and will inevitably end up doing something - even if (or especially if) I protest.

Sunday I was serving at the altar again. This was my actual scheduled day for serving, and Wednesday was a volunteer day. Surprisingly, my back held up fairly well, and didn't start to cause me any issues until after Liturgy. It was bothering me enough for me to take a nap.

And to add on to all of that, if I haven't mentioned it, I decided to be the godfather of my friend's son. I was a bit hesitant to do this as they live in Nashville, Tennessee, and I live in the Santa Fe that is not in Tennessee (yes, it really exists, and they unfortunately pronounce it as "santa fee" and not "santa faye"). So it is a bit of a drive, or a bit of a flight - neither of which I can afford to make at this point. However, I do believe that I have acquired a way for me to make my way out to Tennessee for the baptism of my future godson. I'll need the final details, such as when the baptism is actually taking place before I can finalize details on my end, but for right now, I do have a way of getting out to Tennessee. So yay!

OK, that is it for this quick update. I still have a few articles in the works, that probably would have been posted last week, had last week not taken precedence over a blog that brings in no money. Once this blog starts making money (if ever) I can then make my brother do all the cleaning because spending all day on my computer will be my job. Or, maybe I'll be a good brother and just try to whatever chores need to be done.

No comments: