Tuesday, March 8, 2022

On Trusting God

I thought that I was recovering nicely from the accident, and yet this morning I woke up a bit stiffer than I have been. Yesterday, I took no medication to help with the pain, but I did this morning. I found myself wondering why this accident happened, is there a reason that this happened? I was promised the use of my sister's van this summer to go back to Ladyminster, will I be able to still go? A lot of questions have been running through my mind, and then I did my Lectio Divina this morning and realized that I should just trust God no matter what.

"Be more trusting in the Lord than in your own mother. Confess all to Him. He will not betray you. Embrace all of His commandments as beneficial. They will not deceive you. In as much as you trust in God, so also be vigilant toward your enemies, toward your body, the world and demons. All of this was expressed much better by the glorious saint of God, Ephrem the Syrian, saying, 'In embracing the commandments of God, have simplicity, and in warding off hostile intrigues, have the cunning (the dove and the serpent).'(Prologue - Reflection, March 8th)


Often times we put our trust into our fellow man, only later to be hurt by them. We might put our trust in our boss that they will give us that promotion, only to see the position to go to someone from outside of the company. We might put our trust in a good friend and make them a business partner, only to have them run away with the money. We might put our trust in our police to stop crime, only to be falsely accused. We might put our trust in our spouse, thinking that they have our best interests at heart, only to be betrayed by them. We might put our trust in our parents - having been a good child we might expect some inheritance, only to find out that we were written out of the will.

We might trust ourselves, since everyone else has failed us. But our hearts and our minds can lead us astray more often than others.

We should instead put our trust in God, for He will never deceive us. Some of the things that He might put us through might seem harsh at first, but then we will realize it was for a reason.

God has made us many promises, and He has never failed us. He might not make things easy for us, and it may be painful at the time - but He will keep His promises and He has kept His promises.

Men fail us. We fail ourselves. Perhaps even clergy have failed us. But God never has and never will fail us.

Pray for me, a sinner.

No comments: