Friday, July 17, 2015

The Rule of Saint Benedict: Chapter 6

This next chapter is actually very quite short, and it is on a topic that I know I have a problem with on most days.
Chapter 6

Restraint of Speech

Let us follow the Prophet's counsel: I said, I have resolved to keep watch over my ways that I may never sin with my tongue. I have put a guard on my mouth. I was silent and was humbled, and I refrained even from good words (Ps 38[39]:2-3)

Here the Prophet indicates that there are times when good words are to be left unsaid out of esteem for silence. For all to more reason, then, should evil speech be curbed so that punishment for sin may be avoided.

Indeed, so important is silence that permission to speak should seldom be granted even to mature disciples, no matter how good or holy or constructive their talk,

because it is written: In a flood of words you will not avoid sin (Prov 10:19); 

and elsewhere, The tongue holds the key to life and death (Prov 18:21).

Speaking and teaching are the master's task; the disciple is to be silent and listen.

Therefore, any requests to a superior should be made with all humility and respectful submission.

We absolutely condemn in all place any vulgarity and gossip and talk leading to laughter, and we do not permit a disciple to engage in words of that kind.


***NOTE***

We all should learn to keep our tongues, especially in this day. How often do we get heated over a trivial issue and let loose the fury of our verbiage? How often do we let our tongues loose and say things that we do not mean to say, and hurt ones that we love? Silence is golden.

Also, inb4 anybody else posts this, and inb4 OP can't inb4.


No comments: