Monday, April 9, 2012

Lent While Deployed Wk. 6

First of all, I apologize for not updating yesterday. I was actually outside most of the day with my buddies and our platoon sergeant who came up from another camp yesterday.

The past week went by with a few hiccups here and there, aside from a seven mile run we had on Friday. We went to work and then chilled in our rooms after we were done. But just because last week was very relaxed for us does not mean that I did not fit it some self reflection.

Yesterday was Palm Sunday for us Orthodox - and Easter for most of my friends and family. In fact when my father wished me a happy Easter I wished him a happy Palm Sunday in return. Of course he had to tell me I was a week off, and that the majority of Christians were celebrating Easter yesterday.

Now, I am fiercely Orthodox, but I do miss being able to celebrate things with the rest of my family. In fact, that is one thing I reflected on this past week: celebrating feasts with my family - extended and immediate. I miss spending time with my wife and daughter and even being able to celebrate with them, or even spend time with them.

However, I am not going to stop being Orthodox so I guess I will miss co-celebration with the majority of my family. Also, I am going to be home in just a few months so I will be able to spend rime with my wife and daughter along with go back to church; that is more important to me than missing Easter with my family.

Any way, I need to hop off here and go do soldier stuff. I pray you all have a good week!

4 comments:

Mcommini2 said...

Look on the bright side: when you're back you have your own Orthodox family to celebrate with. I spent yesterday preparing a lamb dinner I wouldn't be eating!

David Commini, OblSB, PhD, KGM said...

Wow, that's just wow! So you get no support, huh?

Mcommini2 said...

Well, there was a nice fish dinner at Church for Palm Sunday before I got home- I don't think either of us like fish, but the way this was cooked was out of this world- a nice Greek tomato sauce recipe that made the fish taste less fishy and more sweet.

David Commini, OblSB, PhD, KGM said...

well, as long as it wasn't the fish sandwich from McDonalds with out the tartart sauce... bleckh!